When I was in Vegas meeting with my coaches, they challenge the 20 trainers in the room to write the blog post of their lifetime. Meaning, give away your best stuff. The past two years I have been trying to do just that, giving you all I have. But I wanted to take that challenge and I have given it a lot of thought to what more I could possibly say that will help you get the results you are looking for?
Here is what I came up with…
Although humans are very different, we possess many of the same desires. Having worked with thousands of people, here is what I believe you want. You want a healthy fit body, that looks good naked, that allows you to do what you want when you want. You want to have high levels of energy and be a great role model for your kids. You want your husband or significant other to find you attractive, and you want high levels of self-esteem and self confidence. You want a career or a life that has significance. A life where you feel like you are contributing. A life where you feel like you are helping others. You want to be growing daily in knowledge, wisdom, and experience. You want to be happy and passionate about life and about others.
How am I doing? Is this pretty close to what you want?
So my question is, how are you doing? Are you as healthy as you would like to be? Do you have as much energy and self-confidence as you would like? Do you feel like you are contributing in ways that make lasting change?
If not, why?
The reality is that if any of the previous statements don’t fit your current situation, you have only yourself to blame.
But Dustin, you don’t know my past, you don’t know how I have been treated, you don’t know what I have been through the past year. You don’t know what people have done or said to me. You are right, I don’t, but putting blame on others and holding onto hatred won’t allow you to move past and begin to live out the live you want and ultimately deserve.
So how to we live a life that meets all of the desires that we have?
I have boiled it down to 7 principals that should be followed.
1. Acknowledge that in order for things to change, you must change. Doing the exact same things that you have been doing to get you into your current situation, won’t be the same things to get you out of it. Once you take responsibility for your life, you can begin to change it.
2. Understand that to be fit and healthy it will come at a cost. You might not be able to go out drinking with your friends every weekend. You might not be able to watch Sex in the City Reruns every night. You might have to go to bed an hour early instead of stalking your ex boyfriends from high school on Facebook. You might have to get up at 5 AM to pack your meals for the day and workout before your family is awake. You might have to save some money by not eating out so much and putting that money towards a fitness program or healthier local food. You might have to get away from negative people in your life, even if that means some of your closest friends or family.
3. You must recreate a new environment around yourself. Whatever situation you are in, you are in because you helped create it by the environment you surrounded yourself in. I interviewed some of the contestants from the biggest loser and I asked them what the biggest difference was when they got back home from being on the ranch. They said that they had to retrain or recreate a new environment. They had to stop going certain places and start going to other places. If you know a certain road that has a lot of fast food joints on it causes you to be tempted, find another way to go that doesn’t include that road.
4. Dream big. We don’t dream big because we are afraid of what others will think when we tell them what we want to do. We are afraid that if we put some big goal or dream out there and we don’t accomplish it, we will be disappointed or embarrassed. Notice how kids dream? They dream big, they want to be astronauts, doctors, or policemen. They haven’t been tainted by the environment yet. This goes back to your environment and who you are spending time with. Will they encourage and foster your big goals, or will they scoff and make fun of them and give you tons of reasons why you can’t achieve it. Fortunately when I announced 18 months ago that I was on a mission to empower 1 million moms to become the fittest they have every been by the end of 2015, I was surrounded by positive big thinkers who embraced my goal and is doing nothing but helping me try to achieve it. Fortunately I didn’t have many who said, “Dustin, do you realized this is ridiculous, you are just a trainer. Trainers in their lifetime might work with 2,000 people. One million? You are out of your mind!”
5. You must have a plan. The famous saying, “if you fail to plan you plan to fail,” is very true. Trying to get results and make changes without a specific plan is like trying to to walk across a frozen like in the middle of a blizzard… Once in awhile you might be making progress and going in the right direction, but for the most part, you will be walking in circles, or even worse, walking in the opposite direction. Lets face it, there are far more opportunities in our world to be lazy, out of shape, unhappy and suffer from low self-esteem. We must be proactive in our plan. If it is losing weight, having more energy, or fitting into your skinny jeans you are looking for, I have various programs in Madison, and DVDs that can give you a specific plan to follow.
6. You need to understand that not everyday is going to be a perfect day. Life has seasons, the key is to keep your head up during the tough times and appreciate and be thankful for the great times. If you slip up, get right back on the plan and push forward. If you are in a dark place right now, know that spring is about to come.
7. Satisfaction comes to those who add value into other people’s lives. I have said this many times, but I am very thankful to have found my calling and passion at an early age. I get up just about every morning (we all have a few that come too early) so excited for the day. I get sad when it is Friday, and very excited when it is Sunday night and I know Monday is just around the corner. (Okay this is a little exaggerated, but you get the point). The reason I feel this way is because I believe I have truly made a difference in thousands of people’s lives and they in turn have helped others. But I don’t possess any special gifts or talents. That is why I am shifting my focus to the next phase of my life, which is reaching 1 million moms by teaching them and empowering them to help their friends and family. When you help others you will be more inclined to be healthy. So I give you the baton, you have something that others don’t have. If you have been reading this blog for awhile or even if you are new, you have the knowledge and information that can turn the tide of obesity, reduce the risk of cancer, eliminate type 2 diabetes, decrease health care costs by BILLIONS of dollars, eliminate the need for many drugs, just to name a few. It is up to you. What if you knew that you could help your friend overcome depression, or low self-esteem, or poor body image. Would you say something? I am here to tell you you can. Overcome the fear of what they will say, and just do it, because if you don’t who will.
So to recap, in order to live the live we all want and deserve we must:
- Acknowledge responsibility for our lives
- Understand it will come at a cost
- Change the environment we surround ourselves in
- Dream big dreams
- Have a specific action plan
- Understand that not everyday will be perfect
- By helping others we will be helped the most