How Patrice Lost 15 lbs in 5 Weeks

I am a little slow to share this story with you, but here is a great transformation from a woman, who didn’t let her physical limitations stop her from changing her life.  I have never met Patrice, but hopefully  will one day!  Patrice, I would love to have you comment at the bottom of the post to let everyone know where you are at today.

To have results this quick takes almost 100% discipline and perfection.  These results aren’t typical, but are possible for many who trade in their old unhealthy habits for new healthy ones.

Patrice’s eating is very good.  High protein, small frequent meals, all natural, grass fed/wild, and not much cheating at all.

I hope you can take a few new ideas for food items, and if you aren’t currently part of a consistent workout program, think about trying my Fit Moms For Life DVDs.  You can try the first month out for just $7.95!

Patrice’s Journey

Patrice Before

Patrice Before

On November 30th, I started my journey to become healthier. Putting myself first was the hardest thing to do, but making the commitment to being healthier is the best decision I have ever made. I try to exercise 5 days a week. I alternate between the Fit Mom’s for Life DVD and the Got Core DVD. I keep a journal and write in it everyday. I keep track of measurements, what I eat and drink, exercise, and how I feel. The journal helps to keep me honest to myself!

In 2005 I developed spinal stenosis and lost the feeling in my legs and feet.  The stenosis affected by balance and I could barely walk. 4 years of acupuncture later, I have regained some feeling in my feet and legs and am slowly getting my balance back. I felt ready to attempt exercise again. I saw Dustin on the morning news station and checked out his website. I immediately wanted to order the DVD but emailed Dustin to get his input due to restrictions I have from back surgery (rods and spinal fusion). I ordered the DVD, and was very pleased w/how the DVD’s were set up. I have to modify some of the cardio but am able to do the workout. So if you have some health issues – YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

I LOVE to cook and cook most everything from scratch. It does take time but I really enjoy it. I feel we eat pretty healthy but I did cut back on the amount that I eat, I am trying to eat more fruit and look at what I eat from a nutrition standpoint that I learned from the phone coaching series w/Tracie. I drink a lot of water and green tea from Cha Cha Tea. I like coffee in the morning but instead of drinking traditional coffee, I drink Teeccino coffee which is decaf and made of herbs, roots, etc. Please note: I cook all of my veggies and omelets in coconut oil. We garden and process our own herbs and freeze our veggies. We make and can our own tomatoes, tomato sauce, marinara sauce, etc. I make bread every week and add things like nuts and flax, etc. My husband and I hunt and fish so most of what we eat is wild game and fish.

Stats

The first numbers are from Jan 20, 2010 and the second are from Feb 27, 2010!

Weight            195 (Nov 30th)         180

Chest                   38                      34-3/4

Waist               37-1/2                 35-1/4

Abs                       39                      35-1/4

Hips                     47                         44

Arm                     13                       12-3/4

Thigh                   22                          22

My pictures: I have included a “before” pic and a “right now” pic. The “after” pic would be when I reach goal #1 (loosing another 20 pounds).

I can barely contain myself…….I have been doing my measurements as you suggested and I was blown away w/my results when I compared them to the last time. I have never gotten these results before!  I am really enjoying the DVD’s.

patricecurrent
Patrice 5 Weeks Later

Day 1

Breakfast – Quail egg omelet w/veggies and milk

Teeccino Coffee w/one packet of Stevia

Glass of water

Snack – Kashi granola bar and banana

Glass of Water

Lunch – is almost always leftovers from what I cooked for dinner the night before, in this case it was Veni Mexican which is Veni meat casserole w/salsa and re-fried beans and a glass of water

Glass of green tea

Snack – apple and one piece of cheese

Water

Before Fit Mom’s workout – plain yogurt w/blueberries and kashi flax, honey, almond clusters

Dinner – blue gills and homemade sweet potato fries, homemade bread and milk

Glass of green tea

Day 2

Breakfast – home made bread w/natural peanut butter and fruit and milk

Teeccino Coffee w/one packet of Stevia

Glass of water

Snack – banana and small bowl of cottage cheese

Glass of Water

Lunch – salad (mixed greens, cucumbers, cottage cheese) and Veggie Sandwich on whole wheat bread

Glass of water

Glass of green tea

Snack – Homemade Hummus on crackers

Glass of water

Before Abs workout – plain yogurt w/blueberries and kashi flax, honey, almond clusters

Dinner – Veni Stew (tomato based) over brown rice and mixed veggies and salad and milk

Green tea

Day 3

Breakfast – 10-Grain hot cereal w/fruit and homemade whole wheat toast and milk

Teeccino Coffee w/one packet of Stevia

Glass of green tea

Snack – Kashi granola bar and banana

Glass of Water

Lunch – leftover Veni Stew and veggies.

Glass of water

Glass of Green Tea

Dinner – Wheat Spaghetti w/veni hamburger and homemade tomato sauce and salad and milk

Green tea

Day 4

Breakfast – Quail egg omelet w/veggies and milk

Teeccino Coffee w/one packet of Stevia

Glass of water

Piece of fruit and kashi granola bar

Lunch – leftover spaghetti and salad

Glass of water

Snack – fruit and piece of cheese

Chicken w/mixed veggies, salad and milk

Glass of green tea

Day 5

Breakfast – 10-Grain hot cereal w/fruit and homemade whole wheat toast and milk

Teeccino Coffee w/one packet of Stevia

Glass of water

Snack – piece of cheese and fruit

Water

Lunch – left over chicken and veggies

Glass of green tea

Dinner – turkey w/hominy, salad and milk

Green tea

Day 6

Breakfast – my husbands makes what I call goulash – eggs w/left over meat and veggies and home made toast and coffee

Water

Banana and small bowl of cottage cheese

Lunch – homemade celery soup and homemade bread w/water

Dinner – Homemade falafel on homemade pita bread w/tahini sauce, veggies and Baba Ghanoush

Green tea

Day 7

Breakfast – Quail egg omelet w/whole wheat toast and coffee

Water

Snack – hummus on crackers

Water

Lunch – left over falafel

Water

Fruit for a snack

Dinner – quail, sweet potatoes and salad and milk

Green tea

When I took my measurements I could barely contain myself when I saw how much progress I had made in such a short time. The hard work IS PAYING off, but I still have quite a ways to go.

Thanks,
Patrice

Do you have any questions for Patrice?

Comments

1. Margaret says:

WOW! You have come so far, so fast. I envy that you have the time to cook and eat such natural foods. Any bread recipes you would be willing to share? I would love to start making my own bread. Congrats, Patrice!

2. Wonderful job – Keep up the tremendous work :-)
    Dawn

3. Congrats Patrice!

4. Mom2Twins says:

Can you post your Hummus dip recipe? I am always looking for new ways to make it!

5. Wow Patrice….your eating is awesome and all that stuff that you make, raise, hunt…..do you raise quail too?? We have been eating pretty authentic falafels at church this week as we celebrate our support of Israel; would be fun to get your pita bread recipe, as well the tahini sauce-and what is Baba Ghanoush? Well, guess we will keep you busy posting recipes here, if you have the time after all that working out and cooking :)! Keep us posted as you continue to reach your goals-and love those pics too!

6. Congratulations Patrice! You are an inspiration!

7. You should be so proud! :) Thank you for sharing your journey and being so inspiring! It’s stories like yours that puts a little kick our butts! Keep up the fantastic work!
    Cheers!
    Jody
    Dvd #1

8. Nancy K. says:

Congratulations Patrice! Thank you for sharing your meals. I love them, straightforward and simple and they look yummy. You’ve inspired me today! I’m going to look up how to make falafel.

Keep it going, we want to hear back from you when you’ve reached your next goal.

9. Way to go! You look great and your story is awesome! Keep up the hard work!!!!

10. Hi Everyone,
    Thanks so much for your kind words. I just got back home from Turkey hunting – got my first turkey. :)

I will get you all the requested recipes.

Patrice

11. Patrice,
    I’m thrilled to hear you enjoy our teas from Cha Cha Tea!. If you have any questions about flavors just ask. We have some great green iced teas for the summer ahead.

12. Hi Everyone,
    I will be posting all the requested recipes. Here is one for Baba G. I know it may seem involved but very good. I will post the pita bread, Tahini sauce, bread, etc.

Baba Ghanouj

2-eggplants
    Kosher salt-to your taste
    Pepper-to your taste
    ¼ cup lemon juice
    4-tablespoons tahini (sesame paste) If you are unable to find tahini at your local grocery store, you should be able to find it at the Natural Health Food Store.
    5-cloves of garlic
    Fresh parsley to taste, ¼-1/2 a bunch

Rinse your eggplant and then poke w/a fork all over as you will be roasting them in the oven @ 375-400 degrees. Every 5-10 minutes you will want to turn your eggplant and you will roast the eggplant until it is soft and squishy. It will turn a blackish color. When you can squeeze the eggplant easily w/a tongs, it is ready to come out of the oven. Immediately wrap the eggplants individually in plastic wrap and let sit for an hour.

Cut off the stem and wring the flesh out of the skin into a colander. Let the eggplant drain for 30 minutes to 1 hour. I press onto the flesh while in the colander to squeeze out the extra juice.

Put eggplant, salt, pepper, lemon juice, tahini, garlic and parsley into the food processor and pulse till chopped. You don’t want to chop till smooth, you want texture to it.

I like to spread my Baba G on pita chips.

13. Dustin’s Mom,
    I can’t take credit for raising the quail. My mother and father in law raise them and they supply us w/the eggs every week and once in a while some quail.

Nancy K,
    I can get you the falafel recipe that I use if you like.

Maleah,
    I will ck out the green iced teas – that sounds perfect for summer.

Dustin,
    I am sure we will meet someday. Thru the DVD’s, TV, emails and web blogs, I feel like I know you. I will post my results soon.

14. Hi everyone,

Hummus recipe below.

Hummus
    2 – Garlic Cloves
    1 – Can of Chick Peas, drained, liquid reserved
    1-1/2 – Teaspoons Kosher Salt
    1/3 – Tahini (Sesame paste)
    6 – Tablespoons lemon juice
    8 – Dashes Hot Sauce

Put all ingredients into the food processor and process until you reach a paste. If your Hummus is too thick to spread on a cracker, add 1-2 tablespoons of the reserve liquid from the chick peas. Keep adding the liquid until you reach the consistency you desire. At this point you may add roasted red peppers or artichokes or sun dried tomatoes to your hummus. Put into nice bowl and enjoy with your favorite crackers or bread.

Enjoy the beautiful day! I will keep posting recipes.

Patrice

15. Hi Everyone,
    Here is another recipe.

Hummus
    2 – Garlic Cloves
    1 – Can of Chick Peas, drained, liquid reserved
    1-1/2 – Teaspoons Kosher Salt
    1/3 – Tahini (Sesame paste)
    6 – Tablespoons lemon juice
    8 – Dashes Hot Sauce

Enjoy the beautiful day.
    Patrice

16. oops – didn’t mean to post the recipe twice.
    have a great day!!

Patrice :)

17. Patrice says:

Hi again,

Tahini Sauce for your Falafel

1-cup tahini
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp salt

Mix together and spread on your falafel or crackers.

This makes quite a bit, you have want to cut the recipe in half.

I find Tahini at the health food store or at Pick n’ Save.

Patrice

18. Patrice says:

Hi,

Falafel

(1) 16 oz can chick peas or garbanzo beans (drained)
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    3 tblsp fresh parsley
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp cumin
    salt and pepper
    flour

I would suggest using a potato smasher to squash the chickpeas, a food processor makes them into a fine paste and you want a coarse chop. Add rest of ingredients, mix and add enough flour so that you can make a ball and it holds together. If to dry, add a small amount of water.

Deep fry around 5 minutes in 350 degrees. Drain w/towel. They will be brown and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.

You may put your falafel into pita’s w/tomatoes, onions and tahini sauce.

Enjoy!

Please note: some health food stores will carry bulk falafel mix and all you need to do is add water and fry.

You may also use dry chickpeas but the process is much longer. You must soak the chick peas in water overnight, drain, place in fresh water and bring them to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes and then let simmer for an hour. Cool and then drain, smash and add the rest of the ingredients.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like anymore recipes.

thanks, Patrice

19. Patrice says:

Pita Pockets and/or Pita Chips

I cheat and put all of my ingredients into a bread maker to mix my dough. I purchased my bread maker for $4.00 at St Vinney’s or Bethesda Thrift Shop.

Water – 80 degrees F – 1 cup and 3 tbls.
    Oil – 1 tbsp
    lemon juice – 1 tsp
    salt 1-1/2 tsp
    sugar 3/4 tsp
    whole wheat flour 3 cups
    active dry yeast – 2-1/4 tsp

place these ingredients in your bread maker in the order listed, on the dough setting.

after the time beeps take out the dough form into a ball and place on a floured surface. cut the ball into 4 equal pieces and roll out each ball into a 8-10″ circle. Let the circles rise for about 30 minutes. cover the circles w/a towel so that they stay warm. Please note: if your circles do not rise much, no worries, you will still have beautiful pita pockets. Heat your oven to 500 degrees F and place the circles on a cooling rack and place the cooling rack into the oven. Bake for about 5 minutes. They will puff out and get nice and brown.

Let the pockets cool, slice and viola – you have pita pockets.

If you want to make pita chips. Let the pockets cool, cut into a pie shape, so you have 8 triangles for each pita. Place them on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil on top and add your favorite herbs on top. Cumin, corriander, pepper, etc., are just a few ideas. Place back in the oven and cook for 5 minutes, or until they are crisp.

You may spread your baba g or tahini sauce on your pita chips.

enjoy!!!
    Patrice

20. Patrice says:

My next post, I will share some bread recipes.

thanks,
    Patrice

21. Thanks Dustin for sending us back here, after Patrice did all this work!! Many thanks, Patrice, for all these awesome recipes….I will be printing them all, for sure!! Have you ever experimented with other grains for the pita pocket?-just curious.
    Any extra nut. value to quail over chickens?

22. Patrice says:

Hi there,

I love to share recipes so no problem.

I still owe Margaret some bread recipes which I promise to post. Sorry for the delay.

Dustin’s Mom: I have not experimented w/other grains for the pita pocket, not yet anyway! :)

As far as the Quail goes, beuause my Father-in-law raised them, I know they are healthy but I also buy free-range chicken’s from the local meat market so, not sure if the Quail is more nutritious than the Chicken. Just nice to try new things and expand your cooking horizons. :)

Have a great day.
    Patrice

23. Patrice says:

Bread recipes as promised…….

Asylum Bread (Nut Bread) :)

Water (80 degrees F) 1-1/4 cups
    Oil 1-TBSP
    Lemon Juice 1-tsp
    Salt 1-1/4 tsp
    Molasses ¼ cup
    Oatmeal ½ cup
    Whole Wheat Flour 1-cup
    Bread Flour 2-cups
    Walnuts, Flax (ground), sunflower seeds (raw), millet, etc. (whatever combo you like or all to = ¾ cup
    Active dry yeast 2-1/4 cup

I cheat and put this all in my $4.00 bread maker on the dough setting that I purchased from Bethesda Thrift Shop. Watch as it starts to mix, you may need to add a tsp or two extra of water as you do not want the dough to be dry.

After the bread maker beeps, transfer your dough in your bread pan (I use a stone bread pan) and cover w/a towel, keep in warm place and let rise.
    Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes on until brown and firm.

Enjoy!

Maple Bread

Water (80 degrees F) 1 cup
    Oil 4-TBSP
    Lemon Juice 1-tsp
    Maple Syrup (real) ¼ cup
    Salt 2-tsp
    Bread Flour 3 cups
    Oatmeal 1 cup
    Walnuts ¾ cup (or sub flax (ground), sunflower seeds (raw), etc.
    Active dry yeast 2-tsp

Use the same instructions as the nut bread and same cooking temp and time.

ENJOY and Happy Baking!!!!! :)
    Patrice